Amazon’s leadership principle #8 is “Think Big” [link].
In this article, we are going to go through the Amazon leadership principle called "Think Big". This is a very important principle that can help you think big and get more done with your teams.
What does it mean to Think Big?
The word "Think big " means to be ambitious or not to set limits on your thinking and goals. Other expressions you hear mean the same thing as "go big" or "reach the stars".
Thinking big is about setting goals that are larger than life. It's about having a vision that is beyond your current reality. It's about being limitless in your approach and not being constrained by barriers or stereotypes, but instead breaking through them.
If you think big, you will:
- Plan what is possible, don't worry about what is impossible
- See problems as challenges and opportunities
- Be positive
- Think about what you can do, not what you can't do
- Be fearless
- Be creative
- Be able to dream and imagine what you want
Thinking Big means:
Take a radical approach and take risks when necessary, always challenging traditional assumptions in search of the best ideas.
Create a courageous mission that motivates employees to stay behind. Show how to get there and explain how things fit into the long-term plan.
Continually communicate the big picture and mission to the team in a way that inspires employee enthusiasm.
Proactively explore new ideas from team members, encouraging risk-taking where appropriate.
How to apply the "Think Big" principle at your job?
Set ambitious goals for yourself and your team. If you're going to dream big, you need to set ambitious goals that will challenge you and your team. By setting ambitious goals, you'll be inspired to come up with creative ways to achieve them.
See challenges as opportunities for growth. When you experience setbacks at work, don't see them as obstacles to your success; see them as opportunities for growth. Remember that every failure is a learning opportunity - one that will help make you stronger and more resilient for the next challenge ahead of you.
Take the long view when making decisions. As an entrepreneur or leader, it’s important to think long-term when making decisions for your
Here are some key points to remember about "Think Big" if you have an interview:
Be passionate about the vision that you have for the future.
Emphasize the importance of your ideas and how they can be made into reality.
Highlight the benefits of your vision and its impact on the company.
Explain how you would want to implement your plan and its expected outcomes.
"Think Big" Interview Questions
- Tell me about a time you took a big risk and it failed. What did you learn? What would you do differently?
- Tell me about your proudest professional achievement.
- Give me an example of a radical approach to a problem you proposed. What was the problem and why did you feel it required a completely different way of thinking about it? Was your approach successful?
- How do you drive adoption for your vision/ideas? How do you know how well your idea or vision has been adopted by other teams or partners? Give a specific example highlighting one of your ideas.
- Tell me about a time you looked at a key process that was working well and questioned whether it was still the right one. What assumptions were you questioning and why? Did you end up making a change to the process?
- Describe a time when you were working on a project or goal and realized you had the chance of doing something far broader than you had planned?
When was the last instance you were dissatisfied because you didn’t think big sufficiently?
- Can you explain to me about an occasion when your fundamental idea had a significant influence?